Approximately 4 million Americans live with low vision.
Low vision is visual impairment that can’t be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, surgery or medication.
However, there are glasses that can help those with low vision.
E-Scoop glasses are customized glasses designed for people in the early stages of vision loss.
Schedule an appointment with an eye doctor experienced in low vision near you to find out if E-Scoop glasses can help you best utilize your vision.
SEE RELATED: IrisVision for Low Vision
Find an eye doctor near you
What are E-Scoop glasses?
Macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma or diabetic retinopathy can cause vision loss, if detected early there are successful options, such as E-Scoop glasses.
E-Scoop glasses are custom-designed glasses that offer 5 optical features to maximize a patient’s remaining vision.
E-Scoop glasses focus what you are looking at onto the part of the eye that is least affected by vision loss.
How do E-Scoop glasses work?
E-Scoop glasses work by combining the following features:
- Anti-reflective (Coating) – The anti-reflective coating reduces glare when using a computer, during night driving and similar tasks.
- Base (Curve) – The curve of the lens works to subtly enlarge the image, enabling a person with low vision to see more detail.
- Base up (Prism) – The prism directs the light away from the damaged areas of the macula to the outer area, which is generally unaffected in the early stages of vision loss.
- Custom tint (Color) – The tint allows for reduced visual stress from bright light and provides UV protection, leading to more comfort and improved vision.
Contact an eye doctor near you who can help improve your vision with E-scoop glasses.
How do E-Scoop glasses help?
Patients with early stages of macular degeneration will begin to experience central vision loss due to the high concentration of cones in the macula. In macular degeneration, these cones begin to degenerate, causing blurry vision or a black hole in a patient’s central vision.
The side of the macula doesn’t have as many cones, so by shifting the image from the damaged center of the macula to the less-damaged periphery, a patient is left with better visual acuity.
E-Scoop glasses can help patients with low vision who have difficulty:
- Driving at night
- Using a computer
- Adjusting to changes in light/brightness
- Getting around
- Recognizing faces
For many, E-Scoop glasses are the ideal low vision aid, as they provide new hope for the patient, giving them the ability to do things they thought were no longer possible due to their vision loss.
LEARN MORE: Guide to Low Vision
Schedule an appointment with an eye doctor near you who can help you regain the ability to do the things you love.
IrisVision for Low Vision »