Did you know that your eyes are the 2nd most complex organ in our bodies?
Did you know that only one-sixth of your eye is visible to the rest of the world? Or how about the fact that your eyes are made up of almost 2 million intricately interwoven functional parts?
22 amazing eye facts
Here are 20 more amazing facts about eyes:
1. The brain is the only organ in our bodies more complex than the eye.
2. Over 1 in 8 males are color-blind.
3. Over 80% of the brain’s processing is from our vision.
6. Eyes heal quickly, it takes only about 48 hours for a minor corneal scratch to heal
7. Every second, your eyes change focus over 50 times.
8. There are over 1 million nerves connecting each eye to the brain.
Want to know more about your eyes? Contact an eye doctor near you.
SEE RELATED: Eyes and Nutrition
Find an eye doctor near you
9. Even though the retina detects only 3 colors, red, blue and green, we can distinguish over 10 million different colors.
10. The front of the eye, the cornea, is the only part of the body that receives its oxygen directly from the air, not the lungs
11. Only 1/6 of your eyeball is visible.
12. In a pitch black night, eyes can detect a candle flame 14 miles away.
13. The iris (colored part of the eye) has 256 distinct features, whereas fingerprints only have 40.
14. When concentrating, most people only partially blink, causing dry spots and redness on the eyes
15. In a typical lifetime, you will see over 24 million images of the world around you.
16. The retina is made up of 2 types of nerves, known as ‘rods and cones’. Rods are responsible for night vision and seeing shapes, whereas cones provide sharp vision and decipher colors.
17. The average person blinks 12 times a minute.
18. The cornea of a shark is nearly identical to that of a human, and it has even been used in human eye surgery!
19. Contracting in less than 1/100th of a second, the eye is the fastest contracting muscle in the body.
20. The ‘red eye’ seen in flash photography, is due to the retina being densely packed with blood vessels.
21. The cornea is the only tissue in the body that does not have blood vessels.
22. The human eye weighs approximately just under an ounce.
LEARN MORE: Guide to Eye Health
So, schedule an eye exam with an eye doctor near you to ensure you keep your eyes healthy and protected.
Your eyes are clearly amazing, so make sure to take care of them and you will ‘see’ the difference.
Teens, Smoking and Blindness »